If you have been following our blog page you should know the primary details about websites, domains and hosting. Click Hosting basicsin case you haven’t been introduced to the basic features of Hosting.
Today we shall put you through the various types of Hosting. This would enable you know the particular Hosting that is most suitable for your type of business or setup.
The most common types of web hosting are:
1. Shared hosting: In this type of hosting,your website is hosted on a server shared by other websites. The number of sites on the hosting provider and can range from a few sites to hundreds of sites. The websites hosted on the server. share the server resources such as RAM and CPU. THE advantage of this type of hosting is that it is cheap and affordable as many servers are sharing the operating cost while the disadvantage of it makes loading time of websites on the server slower and cause downtime.
2. VPS hosting: VPS in full is virtual private server. Basically it is a shared environment with a different setup. It divides servers resources into virtual servers where resources are allocated in such a way it doesn’t affect the underlying hardware. It is one physical server which acts like multiple, separate servers or one server housing multiple, separate, virtual machines. Sites on the server still share resources but it’s advantage over shared hosting is that resources are. split evenly and when one website exceeds it’s limit and goes down it doesn’t affect the other sites. This is because of separation between the virtual machines. However it costs more than shared hosting.
3. Dedicated hosting: Dedicated hosting entails you having your own server with full control over it.
4. Cloud hosting: It is a new technology that allows individual servers to work together as one server. It is essentially the same as VPS hosting the only difference being that while VPS is one physical server, cloud hosting is a whole network of computers from which all sites pull their resources.
5. Collocation web hosting: This is the most expensive hosting service. In collocation hosting, the e’er hosting company provides physical space in a data center. You bring in your server hardware and the company provides electrical, internet access and storage facilities for the servers. So you are responsible for server software, data storage, backup procedures, hardware upgrade etc This is mainly for big businesses.